Breaking the legend about Italian men
Wow, I can see you guys already shaking, and ladies all over the world looking for tissues!
I really don’t want to be mean, in fact I don’t have any reason to do that.
So, before you will, I am going to say it: no, it did not happen. No Italian man broke my heart leaving me with an insatiable need for revenge. Actually, if I have to tell it all, I do not judge, label or categorize people based on thier nationality or anything else beside the way they are.
However I feel I have to talk about this topic because everybody asks me about! And of course I will answer saying what I think. It’s just my opinion.
When I say I’m Italian, all the women look at me with freak smiles, whispering : “Uuuhh! Italian men!”, and I usually lift my shoulders forcing a smile and thinking: “If you say so”.
The truth is that Italian men are nothing special… (mmhh, did I say that out loud?). Well, please let me explain.
As a girl who was born in Italy, raised in Italy, and who spent my first quarter of century there, Italian men are the ones I was dealing with on a daily bases. At school, at home, on TV, on the street, that is the kind on man I grew up with as Italian, and like most of the things about life, you don’t really understand them until you get outside, look from a distance and maybe see something different.
The legend says Italian men are romantic gentlemen, but the reality is they want to take off your underwear much faster – if possible – than any other man. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if they know how to do it, and if this is what a woman is looking for.
Let’s say that, in some cases, it’s enough for them so say “I’m Italian” to pick up a woman. Something I will never understand, but that is why they like foreign women, even if I also believe they simply see in them an easier prey.
These non Italian women should know that Italian men do not have any special power, and if they have one it does not work with Italian women. Maybe it’s just because we are used to it, but the compliments and beautiful words…. Whatever! They really do not make any deal with Italian women, who usually roll their eyes knowing that 99.9% are lies.
Forget the romance, sex moves the whole country, and that is why you see naked women on TV the whole day, or if a guy see’s a girl on the street he HAS TO GO to bother her…. otherwise he’s not a “man”.
I understand they can be charming, but the idea that all the Italian men are like Casanova is just wrong. It’s not even true that all of them know how to dress, or that they do not shower!
They work hard, they love their families and they love women, in all sizes an shapes. But can’t you say the same for all men?
They are just men who knows how to play because women – foreign women – approach them in a different way!
Also, Italians are funny and love life, but just because 80 percent of them read The Bible or Dante’s Divine Comedy – just because you HAVE TO in school – it doesn’t mean their pick-up lines are more poetic, and more important, it does not means they will love you more or better!
Anyway ladies, whatever it works for you. But if you are looking desperately for an Italian man, there are some things you need to know:
- Do not expect flowers every day, that won’t happen;
- Be ready to give up on your job and be a housewife. I’m not saying that will happen, but it’s a possibility;
- If you don’t cook, you will, so learn!
- If you cook, be ready to change everything you do. Your food will be always and perennially compare with his Mom’s. Good luck!
- They are not very familiar with stuff around the house, but if you are extra lucky you could find a man who cooks very very well. In that case, marry him!
- Do not, ever, plan anything for the weekend. Saturdays and Sundays the Serie A – Italia soccer league – is playing. Then, there is Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for all the different European championships.
- No surprise if he’s 35 and still lives with his family. I actually have something to say about this. Even if Italian Moms don’t mind to take care of their “babies” much longer than needed, it’s also true that the situation in Italy right now, especially for young people, it’s pretty tough. Often guys are forced to stay at home simply because they don’t have a job.
- You will have sex EVERY TIME you two will get together. They wouldn’t know what else to do with you;
- In the same way you cannot ask somebody to stop breathing, you cannot ask an Italian man to stop flirting, no matter what;
- Open your eyes: there are bad men everywhere, even in Italy. If you are one of those women who melts when hears “I’m Italian”, well, at least make sure it’s worthy!
Reading all this, however, does not make me think about Italian men, but just men.
No all the Italian men are the same, just because not all the men are the same. Cultural aspect can of course shape somebody personality, but this Italian men thing is just a legend.
But if we have to play the stereotype game, let me tell you: Casanova, Jersey Shore or Super Mario? Casanova all the way through!
If you what to understand women, read What she really means: translation for men
To learn more about Italian culture, read Things you probably don’t know about Italy – Not the usual list
Read the top post Italian food stereotypes, no grazie!